Health is taught from Pre-Primary to Year 6 by Mrs Muir. The goals of this educational program are:
- To increase children’s awareness of healthy lifestyles, helping them to develop positive habits that will stay with them into adulthood.
- To increase you’re a child’s health knowledge, promoting positive attitudes toward their own well-being and healthy behaviour.
A range of concepts are covered which include Social and Emotional understanding using the Friendly Schools Program. Areas in the program include:
- Sense of self, emotional awareness
- Emotional regulation, resilience and self-motivation
- Understanding and interpreting social situations
- Developing positive relationship skills
- Social information processing
The program also provides an introduction to the human body and to factors that prevent illness and promote or damage health. Some of the topics throughout the year include: nutrition, disease prevention, physical growth and development, reproduction, mental health, drug and alcohol abuse prevention, consumer health, and personal safety (crossing streets, riding bikes, first aid, protective behaviours), using science based activities, technology (iPads and interactive games) to develop and strengthen understanding.
[ngg src=”galleries” ids=”3″ display=”basic_thumbnail” thumbnail_crop=”0″]