Our school is passionate about committing to a greener future. With the support of the ClimateClever Initiative, we have developed a whole school sustainability program, with a vision for continuous improvement. The ClimateClever Initiative is a data-driven company created to assist schools with measuring, monitoring and reducing carbon footprints.
We began our journey with ClimateClever towards the end of 2017 and have already taken great steps towards reducing our environmental impact.
As part of our ClimateClever plan, each year level has developed a sustainability action to be introduced and maintained throughout the school. These actions include:
- Waste Free Wednesday;
- Canteen credit for students using their own lunchboxes;
- Eliminating straws from the canteen;
- Staggered implementation of LED lights across the school;
- Movement to digital and online communications to reduce paper usage;
- Gardening club;
- Power Rangers – monitoring the usage of unnecessary power usage in classrooms e.g. switching off lights and appliances when not in use;
- Waste Wise Warrior team – managing whole school composting system;
- Promotion of using recycling bins provided in the playground and classrooms;
- Using the online ClimateClever tools to measure and audit our whole school carbon footprint including: electricity, waste, gas and water usage.
Our goal is to ignite the passion in our students to be lifelong advocates for our environment. We believe that small changes can make a big difference and look forward to further developing our whole school sustainability plan.